Saturday, June 7, 2008

Pave Paradise


Pave Paradise, originally uploaded by WOOF Factory.

They took all the trees
And put them in a tree museum
Then they charged the people
A dollar and a half just to see 'em
Don't it always seem to go,
That you don't know what you’ve got
‘Til it’s gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
--Joni Mitchell, Big Yellow Taxi

These poles are next to a paved bike trail that is new in a previously undeveloped area by the Des Moines River. The area has been used by mountain bikers, ATVs, and off-roaders for decades. From the graffiti I get the impression that everyone is not happy about the new paved trail.

The 3.7 mile trail was constructed at a cost of $1.4 million, completing a short link that now permits 85 miles of bicycling in Central Iowa. OK by me, but the "Big Yellow Taxi" song goes through my head each time I pass here.

Thursday my husband Jason and I were on the trail with our two husky mixes, Catori and Takoda. It was an extra exciting day for the dogs. Takoda pulled me along on the dog scooter and Catori ran along beside Jason's bike. Takoda nearly lost her nose to a very angry snapping turtle, and Catori enjoyed chasing a possum. It was a very wet, muddy ride. Check out the mud on the bike tires!

When we returned to the Jeep, the dogs were clearly not ready to go! Everything was loaded up... but Catori, who pancaked himself to the asphalt parking lot.

Catori is notorious for this type of stubborn behavior. He throws a 2-year-old human toddlerish tantrum when he isn't ready to leave somewhere. At the dog park, in the yard when he doesn't want to go inside, you name it.

I decided to to take advantage of the moment of stillness to get some good macro shots of Catori's nose, and some photos to remember this silly, stubborn moment.

What I failed to think about is what this might look like to someone passing by on the road. I continued to snap photographs as a mini van pulled into the bike trail parking lot.

So there I was, crouching on the pavement next to my motionless dog, who apparently appeared to be dead, or close to it.
I look up and see that a concerned woman in a maroon mini van is leaning out the window telling me they're animal lovers and asking me if he is OK. Surprised, I assure her yes he is fine but she is not easily convinced and follows with a series of questions.

"Do you know where the nearest vet is?"
"Are you sure he's OK?"
"Can I help you somehow?"
"Do you want some water?"
"Are you SURE he's ok?"

Finally, rather reluctantly, she drove away as I thanked her for stopping and maintained that he was hydrated, happy, and healthy. Then I kindly asked Catori to please get in the Jeep and he hopped in. I hoped he understood the situation and felt slightly embarrassed.

And me, well yes I was sort of embarrassed. However it's nice to see that there are caring people out there who would take a moment out of their busy day to help a dog!